Director: Dr. A.R. Adetunji
Location: Ilesha, Osun State NG
Prototype Engineering Development Institute (PEDI) Ilesa was born out of the vision to create a totally “digitally-driven” design, production, and product support environment with a focus on developing Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SME’s) that are into manufacturing in Nigeria to compete favourably with imported products thereby opening an avenue for creativity, innovation, job creation and consequently wealth creation in Nigeria
The mandate of the Institute is to development engineering prototypes and their production systems and the transfer of these to private sector satellite industries.
Prototype Engineering Development Institute (PEDI) is a “model-based” manufacturing enterprise. Simply stated, it is a manufacturing entity that applies modeling and simulation (M&S), Surface Mount Technology (SMT) and rapid prototyping (RP) technologies to radically improve, seamlessly integrate, and strategically manage all of its technical and business processes related to design, manufacturing, and product support. By using product and process models to define, execute, control, and manage all enterprise processes, and by applying science-based simulation and analysis tools to make the best decisions at every step of the product life-cycle, it is possible to drastically reduce the time and cost of production.
Rapid prototyping as part of PEDI’s mandate is the concept adopted for NASENI’s Reverse Engineering programme. Rapid prototyping technology helps industries to improve their design and product development activity by reducing design cycle time and eliminating errors in early stages of design.
PEDI is involved in research and development in different aspects of rapid prototyping to:
1. Fast track industrial growth and the transformation of the nation’s raw materials into useful products.
2. Provide the appropriate local machinery and equipment used for processing raw materials and production of goods.
3. Provide investors and entrepreneurs the opportunity to see physically the workability of products, concepts, processes or equipment they wish to commercialize thereby increasing their confidence in their viability when produced on a commercial scale.
In furtherance to pursuing our mandate on rapid prototyping, PEDI will be involved in providing consultancy services to:
1. Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs), Research institutes and tertiary institutions all over the country in capacity development and in R&D related activities with the overall aim of addressing the problem of shortage of qualified and competent skilled technical personnel in industries. The shortage of skilled personnel has been a critical bottleneck in industries most especially in areas of design and manufacturing of process equipment, which is needed for Nigeria’s raw materials to be effectively harnessed and utilized.
2. Inventors and design professionals to enable them validate their creations and gain confidence in their work which in turn will be utilized by SMEs.
PEDI will also be involved in the following thrust areas:
(1) Reverse Engineering
Coordinate Measuring Machine
Stereolithography (printing physical objects using powder metallurgy)
Product design and development
ProEngineer, COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS, MathLAB, AutoCAD
Advanced manufacturing Initiatives
CNC machinery (lathe, vertical machining center, grinding machine, laser cutting machine)
Surface Mount Technology (developing printed circuit boards)
(4). Innovation/Technology Incubation center
(5). Collaboration with SMEs
(6). Collaboration with Institutions of higher learning.
The following machines are among others are available in PEDI
* CNC Lathe
* Vertical machining center
* CNC grinding machine
* Press Brake machine
* Laser Cutting machine
* Plasma cutting machine